‘It’s not fear mongering, it’s the truth.’ | Health Beat

Read More

10 things to know before lightning strikes | Health Beat

Learn what to do when lightning strikes near you. (For Spectrum Health Beat)

Summer days lure many people to the water, but water is one of the most dangerous places to be if a storm strikes.

Typing on your computer, talking on a landline phone or taking a shower put you into the danger zone, too.

Did you know you have a higher risk of getting struck by lightning than you do of striking it big in the lotto? How do 1 in 15,000 odds strike you?

A lot of people are surprised by this, noted Amy Spencer, MD, medical director of the Spectrum Health Regional Burn Center.

Every year lightning kills dozens of people in the United States. According to the National Weather Service, about 10% of people struck by lightning die, leaving 90% with varying degrees of injury and disability.

Michigan ranks among the top states

Read More

A herald for heroes | Health Beat

Read More